Monday 3 April 2017
• Rose Festival returns to RHS Garden Rosemoor
• Garden ‘Lates’ on four evenings in July
• First RHS Flower Show for the South West in August
A trip to Rosemoor is a must for visitors to beautiful Devon this summer as the RHS Garden celebrates the nation’s favourite flower with a Rose Festival (17 June – 30 July), and a few weeks later holds its inaugural RHS Flower Show (18 – 20 August).
Rosemoor is surely the ideal place for a Rose Festival in early summer. Boasting one of the UK’s largest collections of roses, it is home to two dedicated rose gardens, bringing together 200 different cultivars and a wealth of hues and perfumes, from cottage garden climbers to bright and beautiful container plants.
Visitors to the first RHS Garden Rosemoor Flower Show in August will see the garden awash with floral displays and specialist nurseries brought to the South West by the RHS for the first time. There will be a country fair theme to the proceedings, and with expert advice on hand from horticulturists, this is an occasion not to be missed for keen gardeners.
RHS Garden Rosemoor Curator Jon Webster says: “There is nothing like Rosemoor in summer. From the warm days of June when the roses begin to bloom, releasing their indescribable scent, to late summer when our ‘Hot Garden’ peaks in swaths of oranges and reds, there is so much to enjoy and so much to see. And with our second annual Rose Festival and our first-ever RHS Flower Show taking place, summer at Rosemoor in 2017 is sure to delight and inspire.”
Rose Festival highlights (17 June – 30 July 2017)
• A Rose Weekend on 24 and 25 June with a floral-themed craft and food market, more than 30 stalls, plus free, guided tours of the renowned Rose Gardens.
• A range of rose-inspired and rose-infused treats, throughout the festival, freshly served from Rosemoor’s Garden Kitchen: rose meringues, rose and rhubarb cakes, and Turkish delight coffee.
• For ‘Rosemoor Late’ evenings, the gardens will open until 9pm on 6, 14, 20 and 27 July. Guests are encouraged to enjoy the beautiful surroundings and rolling hills of this Devonshire garden at dusk as the roses release their evening perfume. Live music and Pimm’s will add to the festivities.
• Every Wednesday afternoon an expert florist will demonstrate flower-arranging techniques with roses.
• Visitors may take a self-guided Rose Trail on an historic journey through the garden, from the Queen Mother’s Rose Garden to the Long Borders and the Cottage Garden.
• In celebration of British Flowers Week (19 – 25 June), British roses will be firmly in the spotlight in the Rosemoor Plant Centre, with high-quality selections on sale from David Austin Roses.
RHS Garden Rosemoor Flower Show highlights (18 – 20 August 2017)
• Rosemoor’s first RHS Flower Show will be awash with striking floral displays and an abundance of quality plants, along with 20 specialist nurseries from across the UK, plus garden trade stands throughout the weekend.
• Encouraging guests to embrace this year’s traditional country-fair theme, the garden will have a number of rural crafts to explore such as dry-stone walling, fly fishing, thatching, and hazel hurdles with exciting demonstrations.
• Offering the very best of the South West, an Afternoon Tea Tent will be serving up delicious prosecco cream teas to take away and enjoy as visitors soak up the atmosphere.
• For those seeking the best gardening advice, visitors can learn how to transform their gardens and make the most of their plants with an extensive programme of specialist talks and demonstrations taking place in the Garden Room.
• Visitors can book tickets for exclusive early access on 18, 19 and 20 August, which will treat them to breakfast and a first look at the featured nurseries and trade stands from 9am before the official opening at 10am.
For images and press requests please contact Alice McDermott at the RHS Press Office: email@example.com / 020 7821 3177
Notes to editors
About RHS Garden Rosemoor
RHS Garden Rosemoor, Great Torrington, Devon, EX38 8PH
www.rhs.org.uk/rosemoor 01805 626810
Entry to the both the RHS Garden Rosemoor Rose Festival and RHS Garden Rosemoor Flower Show is included in normal garden entry.
The Garden opens from 10am – 5pm each day.
RHS members enjoy free entry with a guest (entitlements may vary according to membership type)
Adults £12.10* incl Gift Aid
Children £6.05* incl Gift Aid
Children under 5yrs Free
Family (2+2) £30.90* incl Gift Aid
Groups of more than ten people £9.00 per person
Group visits must be booked in advance
About the RHS
The Royal Horticultural Society was founded in 1804 by Sir Joseph Banks and John Wedgwood to inspire passion and excellence in the science, art and practice of horticulture. Our vision is to enrich everyone’s life through plants, and make the UK a greener, healthier, happier and more beautiful place. We believe everyone in every village, town and city should benefit from growing plants to enhance lives, build stronger, healthier, happier communities and create better places to live.
We held our first flower shows in 1820, were granted a Royal Charter in 1861 and acquired RHS Garden Wisley, our flagship garden, in 1903. From our first meetings in a small room off London’s Piccadilly, we have grown to become the world’s largest gardening charity. At our gardens and shows and through our scientific research, publications, libraries and our education and community programmes we inspire a passion for gardening and growing plants, promote the value of gardens, demonstrate how gardening is good for us and explain the vital roles that plants undertake.
The RHS is committed to bring the joy of gardening to millions more people, inspire the next generation of gardeners and invest in the future to safeguard a £10.4 billion industry employing more than 300,000 people. We are entirely funded by our members, visitors and supporters. RHS membership is for anyone with an interest in gardening. Support the RHS and secure a healthy future for gardening. For more information call: 020 3176 5820, or visit www.rhs.org.uk/join
RHS Registered Charity No. 222879/SC038262