Friday 20 April 2012
The Royal Horticultural Society has launched the RHS Heaviest Pumpkin Competition. Professional and amateur growers alike are invited to enter by 24 September for the chance to win £1,000.
This new competition is part of the RHS London Harvest Festival Show (9-10 October 2012) at Lindley Hall, Westminster. Entrants will present their prized pumpkin to be weighed and judged on Tuesday 9 October.
Georgina Barter, Competitions Manager, said: ‘We’re expecting some really huge pumpkins at the show, making Halloween 2012 spookier than ever.’
The owner of the winning pumpkin will receive first prize of £1,000, with runner up prizes ranging from £500 to £200.
To enter the competition please email the RHS Competitions Manager, Georgina Barter (email@example.com) for an application form.
For more information, please contact Charlotte Paton on 020 7821 3126 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Notes to editors
RHS London Harvest Festival Show, Lindley Hall, Greycoat Street, Westminster
Tuesday 9 October 2012, 10am – 7pm Tickets: £5 RHS Members: FREE
Wednesday 10 October 2012, 10am – 5pm Tickets: £5 RHS Members: FREE
Book tickets online at www.rhs.org.uk/Shows-Events
RHS Heaviest Pumpkin Competition
1. The competition is open to all.
2. Exhibits must be the property of the competitor. All specimens exhibited must be the bona fide property of the competitor and must have been grown by the competitor for at least 3 calendar months.
3. There are no entry fees
4. The final selection of entries to be exhibited at the show will be made from photographic and measurement information to be submitted 2 weeks before the competition (by Monday 24 September).
5. Only one entry per competitor is allowed
6. Sticks, stones, soil or any substance that is not the plant matter of the specimen, must not be included in the weight of the entry.
7. Pumpkin stalks must not be more than 2.5cm in length.
8. Exhibits will be weighed on Monday 9th October, location and timing to be advised with passes.
9. All entries will be assessed for condition by an NVS judge and only those considered to be in good condition will be weighed.
10. Pumpkins may be removed between 6 and 7pm when a forklift will be available. Any not removed will be cut up and disposed of. We will however extract a few good seeds and post these to relevant exhibitors, if requested in writing to us upon staging.
11. The decision of the Judge is final.
About the RHS London Shows
The RHS London Flower Shows are the longest running of all the Royal Horticultural Society flower shows. Established in 1862, they were first held at the RHS garden in Kensington, but moved to the RHS Horticultural Halls when they were built in 1904 and have remained there ever since.
About the RHS
Founded in 1804, the Horticultural Society received its first Royal Charter in 1809. Since 1816, the Society has enjoyed the formal patronage of the reigning monarch. In May 1861, its name was changed to the Royal Horticultural Society (RHS).
The Royal Horticultural Society is the UK’s foremost gardening charity, helping and inspiring millions of people to garden. We do this at our gardens and shows and through our scientific research, publications, libraries and our education and community programmes. We are entirely funded by our members, visitors and supporters.
RHS membership is for anyone with an interest in gardening. Support the RHS and secure a healthy future for gardening. For more information call: 0845 130 4646, or visit www.rhs.org.uk
RHS Registered Charity No. 222879/SC038262